Keep up to date with the latest news from the Ngā Kawekawe o Mate Korona | Impacts of Covid-19 in Aotearoa study
Our media and communications team are the key point of contact for all media enquiries.
Results of a major nationwide study published today show the impacts of COVID-19 have been worse for Māori, Pasifika, and disabled people.
Published 26 January 2023.
COVID-19 survivor Hamuera Evans estimates it took him just 30 seconds to be infected by the Delta varient back in March 2020.
Telling the stories of whānau hauā (disabled people) who’ve had COVID-19 is critical to improving support for those who get the virus, says a leading disability rights activist.
Samoan COVID-19 survivor Tuala Tagaloa Tusani describes his experience with the coronavirus as scary, painful and leaving him feeling perilously close to death. The 44-year old Samoan entrepreneur contracted the Delta variant of COVID-19 in September 2021 and spent four days in Middlemore Hospital and eight days in Auckland Hospital.
At the beginning of 2020, Kiwi tech entrepreneur Jenene Crossan (Ngāi Tahu) contracted COVID-19 when she was in London. It wasn’t until she returned home to Auckland in March 2020 that she tested positive – the 37th case in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Document and image downloads
Images below are for use on stories related to this study, and by accredited media only, and must be attributed to the owner of the images.
- Media release 26/01/23 – COVID-19 impacts worse for Māori, Pasifika and disabled people, study finds
- Media release 13/04/22 – More support needed for people with COVID-19, preliminary survey results show
- Media release 01/03/22 – COVID-19 study guided by Tiriti o Waitangi framwork (English)
- Media release 01/03/22 – Pacific research team gathers insights on COVID-19 survivors (English)
- Media release 08/02/22 – Major study on COVID-19 impacts launched (English)
- Media release 08/02/22 – Major study on COVID-19 impacts launched (Māori)
- Media release 08/02/22 – Major study on COVID-19 impacts launched (Cook Islands Maori)
- Media release 08/02/22 – Major study on COVID-19 impacts launched (Samoan)
- Media release 08/02/22 – Major study on COVID-19 impacts launched (Tongan)
- Photo (credit: Image Services, VUW) – Dr Lynne Russell
- Photo (credit: Image Services, VUW) – Dr Mona Jeffreys
- Photo (credit: Dr Huhana Hickey) – Dr Huhana Hickey
- Photo (credit: Image Services, VUW) – Matua Witeria Ashby
- Photo (credit: Tuala Tagaloa Tusani) – Tuala Tagaloa Tusani
- Photo (credit: Jenene Crossan) – Jenene Crossan
- Photo – Hamuera Evans
- Photo (credit: Ministry for Pacific Peoples – Te Manatū o ngā Iwi o te Moana-nui-ā-Kiwa) – Tuiloma Lina-Jodi Samu